Cajamarca department is located in Northern Peru, in the Andes Mountain Range, and it includes Mountain and Forest Areas. Cajamarca city is three thousand years old, its first people were Huacaloma, Layzón, Cumbe Mayo and Otuzco.
Cajamarca town is the capital of the department named after it by National Decreed granted by the Mariscal Ramon Castilla on February 11, 1855. It was recognized on September 14, 1986 as the Historic and Cultural Site of the Americas by the Organization of American States.
It is one of the most important historic cities in Northern Peru, where two large cultures blended: the Inca and Spanish cultures. The city keeps its original colonial architecture. It is very well known for its Inca remains as the ‘Rescue Room’, but is also well known for its popular culture, such as its carnival celebration, as well as its lactose production.
It is located near the hill and the Cumbe Mayo archeological complex, for this reason its nickname is ‘the Flower of Cumbe’ or ‘Flor de Cumbe’. The town is located in the extreme West of the valley named after it. Santa Apolonia Hill is located a few blocks away from the Main Square at 8,923.88 ft.o.s.l. or 2720 m.o.s.l.